Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Writing Workshop Ch. 1-5

I was excited to start reading "The Writing Workshop" book, because last semester my mentor teacher used the writing workshop technique in her classroom. I didn't really like how she had set up her writing workshop so I was wondering if her use of the technique was typical or if there were other components that she left out.

I was surprised by one of the main goals in writing workshop is having teachers help students find good reasons to write. This idea is totally opposite of what I saw happening in my mentor teacher's classroom. There the students were given a topic orprompt by her that they had to write about. I think that when students pick their own topics they care more deeply about them and put forth their best effort.

I also enjoyed reading the pages where the author talked about what the tone of a classroom looks like and sounds like. I often think that tone only applies to talking so as long as you have the "right" tone when talking to your students then it should be fine, but after reading I realized that tone also applies to how the room is set up, what is on the walls, what materials are used, and many other things.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for pointing out the complexity of "tone." It is not just what we say, but what we do and how we do it. Tone is a multifaceted thing. I also agree that students put forth greater efforts when we let them choose their topics. Sometimes it can take practice and teaching to help them find their way toward a meaningful writing idea, but they will get the hang of it, and often find more reasons to write than time to write about them.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete